So, in our Integrated Math B grade 10 class, we are doing something new in which we direct ourselves: it’s called blended learning. As an individual by itself cannot do everything by himself, we divided our class in various groups with each one having specific roles. This way the students can be more active at their learning. There are six roles: there are the PBers (leaders if following the periodic table), Tech Ninjas, Information Producer, Social Moderators, Writers, and Communicators. Our teacher, Mr. K, assists us in our tasks. Here is a description of each of the different roles in the project:
Samuelle and the Writers.
- PBers: The PBers pose the problems that we need to solve. They need to be aware of everything in order to manage our tasks. They are constantly communicating with the other students and with the teacher so they can help the entire group make progress.
- Tech Ninjas: The Tech Ninjas are in charge of using the notes produced by the Information Producers and transforming those notes into video lectures, which students can watch in order to learn about a new topic. There’s usually three video lectures per week.
- Information Producers: The information producers are the people that create the information, which are, in our class, the super notes for the video lectures. Mr. Jess Kuemmerlin, which is our teacher, gives the information producers the Super Notes for them to resolve the questions he wrote for the specific unit. The information producers are also responsible in posting the already correct video lectures on Mr. K’s site for the people in our class to be able to watch them and learn.
- Social Moderators: The social moderators are the people that get the information from the producers of it, and make it public. The main places where they put our project information is in social sites, such as Twitter and Facebook. So, the goal of the social moderators is to expand our in-class project and make it public and famous. If people from other schools are interested in doing projects like ours, then the idea they had gotten was transmitted by the social moderators, as it was they who made it popular.
- Writers: The writers are the people who are writing and documenting all of the information in class. Every week, in our math class, we have at least one discussion between our teacher, Mr. Jess Kuemmerlin, and the communicators (whose role will be explained in the next bullet point), about the notes that were made by the Tech Ninjas, also known as Video Lectures. While this discussion is happening, the writers take notes on the teacher’s and the student’s perspectives.
- Communicators: The communicators are the people that are in the discussion with Mr. K at least once in a week. They discuss that week’s video lectures, explaining it to the class. During this discussion, the writers take notes on the teacher’s and the student’s perspective. For them to have a good discussion, they are the first people to receive the complete Super Notes so that they study it and remember it by head for the discussion.
Samuelle and the Writers.